Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Feeling Inspired

  Some of my most enjoyable days each year are spent away from the golf course, attending any turf conference that I can get my hands on all the while staying within my Professional Development budget.  This year I was able to attend both the AGSA Property Manager's Conference in Canmore as well as the CGSA Conference (#CITC2014) in Vancouver, both in breathtaking locations.  To make things even better, Brent Lees (@Brentgrassturf), Assistant Superintendent at Woodside GC, was able to travel to Vancouver as well and escape the never-ending polar vortex for a few days.  Brent has been the Assistant at Woodside for almost three years now and this is the first time that we have traveled outside the province to a turf conference together.
  We arrived in Vancouver on Monday afternoon and took the skytrain from YVR to the Fairmont Waterfront.  What a great location!  We changed into some business clothes and popped over to the President's Welcome Reception for some food and drinks with the other attendees.  The rest of the evening was spent across the street at the Cactus Club and I do apologize if I nodded off there, the Ativan that I take when I fly and a cocktail or two are not a great combination.
  On Tuesday morning the Education Program began with four streams to choose from.  I always find Dr. Tom Hsiang both very informative and entertaining and rarely miss a presentation by Matt Nelson.  I think that I secretly always wanted to be a USGA agronomist like Matt once was.  Just before noon I decided to find a quiet spot to rewrite my acceptance speech for the Environmental Achievement Award.  Unfortunately a Lufthansa flight crew had decided to meet at the same spot and I found this very distracting, but I did manage to get my thoughts down on paper.  I don't actually read what I write down but use it as a guide so I don't miss anything (#gettingold).  At the Awards Luncheon I had the privilege and honor to meet the Superintendent of the Year Jim McGarvey AGS, John B. Steele award winner Robert Heron MS and Future Superintendent of the Year Jordan Collins (@Scooter_Turf).  I must say that Jordan had an excellent speech prepared and I had a hard act to follow and I was really not happy with the Lufthansa distraction at this point.  As always, I did the best that I can and I was very happy to have Brent there as he plays such an important role at the golf course and I can't say enough about his contributions to the success of the facility.


I really want to thank Club Car for sponsoring the award as well as the CGSA staff, especially Lori and Kathryn for their help with all the details that they take care of to make the event run smoothly.  Tuesday afternoon was spent at the Green Speed Discussion followed by the opening of the Trade Show.
  On Wednesday morning I was feeling very refreshed after a great sleep and we were up early for the Annual General Meeting.  At 9am it was time for Trevor Linden to give the keynote address and that was worth the price of admission.  His thoughts on life and teamwork and his anecdotes left you with with a feeling that was hard to describe.  He was very inspiring.  I was so inspired that I decided to do something that I had never done, run the Stanley Park seawall.  What a treat it was to run 15 km in February without 3 layers of clothes on and snow and ice everywhere.  I made it back to the trade show for some pictures at the Club Car booth and the Fest of Ales.  The Wednesday Night Party did not disappoint with great food and some very funny comedians to boot.
Myself with Trevor Linden and Connaught Super and AGSA President Dustyn Zdan.

  As Thursday rolled around, everyone was keeping an eye on what was happening in Sochi and, as we all know, great things were taking place for Team Canada athletes.  I was near a TV set for the end of the ladies' Ice Hockey game and I was absolutely amazed when that puck hit the post and didn't go in and they went on to win 3-2 in overtime against the USA.  
  
The Olympics were certainly getting a lot of attention on Twitter at the time.

  Thursday was also the day that Kerry Watkins AGS did a very heart-wrenching presentation on the Alberta Floods that did so much damage to so many courses on June 20.  I don't think that anyone could have told the story better.  Well done Kerry!  He is another person that inspires so many others.  The day finished with one of my favorite presenters, Frank Rossi, who always seems to be at the cutting edge, challenging old beliefs and he certainly tells it like it is.  Although my jury is still out on Poa Cure.

  I am certainly glad that I got a 15 km run in on Wednesday as the food and drink at the BCGSA Pub Night was simply amazing.  It was so awesome to see the Olympic Cauldron lit at the Jack Poole Plaza just a couple of blocks away.  Everyone was brimming with pride for all the Canadian athletes.


Friday morning came around quickly and we were getting near the end of the line.  My Starbuck's card came in handy as I grabbed a venti light roast and watched the sunrise.  I had lived in North Vancouver for 7 years but I was young and at an age when your world was small, especially before the internet.  At 53 years old I was able to get back to Vancouver and savour what I had missed and soak in the views of the sunrise hitting the Lions and downtown North Vancouver.


I even got a good shot of a Canadian flag along the docks.


  Brent and I decided to watch the first period of the Men's gold medal hockey game against Sweden, travel back to YVR and catch the third period and a bite to eat at the airport.  What a great way to end an awesome week.  Thanks to the CGSA staff for rocking another conference, all the sponsors that help make it happen, the speakers that keep us informed and all the delegates who make this the best profession there is.
















No comments: